Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 6: Stress: A dieter's worst enemy

For anyone who knows me, they know I've been challenged with some very big decisions and obstacles over the past few months. This endeavor to make this incredible sacrifice was a big decision. I have given up part of my social life of enjoying the nightlife with my friends, given up my favorite foods and my favorite drinks. With this decision comes other decisions attached to it. As I have stated, this is for my career and frankly, the rest of my life. Well, I am now facing many big decisions and obstacles concerning my career path and that is bringing on the big, ugly monster named "Stress." Many of us recognize it. It jumps on our backs with it's big 2 ton belly, hooks it's arm around our necks, pounds at our chests and whispers in our ears, "you can't handle this." It's about as wanted as Barack Obama is at a house party in Slapout, AL. Like Obama at a Slapout house party, it's a worst enemy for dieters. I have plateaued for the past two days and I blame stress. The trouble is, trying to figure out how to handle it while you are training your body to adapt to something new like cutting out entire food groups from your diet. Before, I would run through my favorite drive thru and medicate that way or find a nice, friendly thing of ice cream that might keep me company and listen to my problems because I feel it's too much a burden for my friends. The weights of life can always bring you down, but that weight shouldn't show on the scale. These past 2 days have shown me I have to figure out a different way to handle it. Suggestions?? Stress is a part of life and there's no way of getting around it, but I have to look at in it's ugly Quasi Modo eye and tell it that it will not get the best of me. I want to give in to it so badly. I have so much else going on that I've told myself, "I don't need this. I don't need the worry about what I'm going to eat on top of it all." But then, the stress would have won. Call me crazy for thinking of it this way, but I'm sure anyone can understand what I am feeling right now. Yesterday at the gym, I received my first, "You look like you've lost weight. You look good." Wow! How uplifting is that!!! If you don't think that is motivation to push through, then lay off the cough syrup. I am officially down 6 pounds after 5 days on the 500 calorie diet and I'm hoping I'll see a lower number tomorrow morning. Stress will not weigh me down and neither will the problems of this life. People are not always going to be nice to you and circumstances may not always work out as you plan, but it's all in YOUR attitude. How can YOU make the situation better to where what someone else or something else does not affect who you are and how you operate? Those are the answers I am looking for on my weight loss journey.

For all of you who are wondering, I will be taking my measurements on Saturday to see how many inches I've lost. So while I may not be losing on the scale in the past 2 days, I realize it may be in inches because I have been working out at the gym. Energy levels have been ok. I've been getting really hungry before dinner almost to the point where I can't function but I can feel my body adapting more and more everyday. I don't think this will ever get easy because like everyone with an addiction, it's a lifestyle change and never returning to those old habits again. Like I saw on "Ruby" the other day, food addicts don't get a holiday to pig out. We have to maintain being slow and steady to win the race. But you know what...

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." ~Phil 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment